Monday 5 May 2014

Going natural - Limit your exposure to chemicals!







Do you want to go natural and live your life happy and toxic-free? Me too!


About 2,5 years ago I stumbled upon a video on Youtube about toxic chemicals in beauty products. The video made a huge impact on me, and a couple of months later I had pretty much replaced all my beauty products and had switched to natural cosmetics. At first it wasn't easy at all. I was happy before with my skin care products and it was hard to stop using some of my favourite ones. But, as I was obsessed with the whole 'going natural' thing I decided I'd give it a go. Let me tell you.. My skin was not very happy about that! Before switching to natural cosmetics, my skin was normal with very few breakouts. Since I've started using natural products my skin tends to be way more sensitive. I've tried many different products in hopes for finding a good match for my sensitive, dryish, and somewhat combination skin. During my journey I've learnt so far that

a) my skin gets irritated from rose extract (which is kind of weird because it is suppose to help irritated skin....) 
b) going natural can be pretty expensive!
c) ask for samples or buy travel sizes so you won't be wasting any money in case you don't like the product
d) if it says natural or organic on the label, don't believe it!
e)"if you can't pronounce it, it's probably toxic!"
f)  if in doubt, buy vegan products and DO YOUR RESEARCH before you go shopping! 
So yeah, it hasn't been easy. But I am so happy that I made this change. I have luckily managed to find some great skin care products for my skin, but I'm still struggling to find a perfect moisturizer for my skin that doesn't irritate it, dry it out or make me breakout. So, switching to natural cosmetics might not be easy at first, or at least it has been so in my case, but hey, nothing in life really is! And I guess sometimes you need to make some compromises when you really believe in something.

I already mentioned how important it is to do your research before you go shopping. There are so many ingredients in mascaras, lipstick or in your moisturizer that can cause cancer, birth defects or are highly toxic. Parabens, PEGs, Phenylenediamine, Petrolatum, Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate, Oxybenzone, Propylene Glycol, Formaldehyde, Hexamethyl - just to name a few. Did you know that the same chemical that is used as a break fluid for your car can be found in your moisturizer? Or that the same chemical you use for building materials can be found in your body wash?  It is very important to know what the product you put on your face everyday really contains and this is the toughest part of switching to natural cosmetics: understanding the ingredients!

Did you know it is not only better for you to avoid getting too many toxins into your system, our environment also benefits from it! I tend to think of humans as walking toxic waste. It might sound horrible but I really think that's the truth. Think about how much we're exposed to different toxic chemicals everyday? They're either in our food, in our water or in our beauty products. There are even bad chemicals in baby products! I just read an article the other day that said a small part of the toxins in our bodies or from food, ends up in the ground water. A lot of the water we use everyday comes from the ground water. Of course, we're only talking about a small amount of chemicals, but still. I think it is important to be aware of these things and try to do your very best in keeping our earth as green and chemical-free as possible. Our fun on this earth won't last very long if we continue living like this. There is this picture I really like that pretty much sums it all up:

The Earth is 4.6 billion years old. Scaling to 46 YEARS, we've been here 4 hours and our Industrial Revolution began just 1 minute ago. In that time we've destroyed more than 50% of the world's forests. This is NOT sustainable.

I can certainly say that ever since I've started paying more attention to what I put on my face or body, or what I eat, I've felt better. Sure, I'd rather not have to struggle with my skin so much, but sometimes you just have to accept that things change. And at least I know I'm doing something good for myself and that's all that matters. Of course, I still allow myself to "sin" once in a while, as I like to call it, and may go make a sneaky purchase of NYX cosmetics or buy a new perfume from the drugstore. I'm just human and sometimes I just can't resist the temptation! I'm sure you know how that is. But when it comes to my skin and body care, it's all natural, baby!

I hope I've managed to raise your attention to how important going natural really is, not just for you but also for our environment. I'm not asking you to throw all your makeup out of the window. If you do decide to switch to natural cosmetics, take it slowly and start replacing your products as you run out of the old ones. I'll definitely be writing another blog post where I go into more detail about different chemicals. In the mean time, I've listed a couple of websites for you that I find quite interesting and helpful.. go check them out!

Skin Deep Cosmetic Database
http://www.codecheck.info/ (in German)
Is there toxic waste in your body? The Huffington Post

Until next time!

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment